Interview Tips: Web and Phone Interviews
Sometimes, when you are applying for a job that is across the country, or across the planet, you need to conduct a web interview with your prospective employer. These interviews are necessary for your prospective employer to get to know you, as well as for them to make sure that you know what they need you to do. Here are some tips for you to follow when you have your web or phone interview:
- Make sure you dress the part. You want to look professional, but not over done.
- Test your connection before you connect to the interview. You don't want any unexpected problems when it's time for your interview to begin. Nothing looks worse than having technical difficulties because your internet connection went down.
- Take notes during your interview so you can reference it later. When you write your thank you note (we'll go over how to do that in the next segment) you want to be sure that you know what you are referencing.
- Make sure your camera works and that you look okay. No one wants to see a piece of food clinging to your teeth.
- Smile. Be friendly, the interviewer will probably be asking you a series of standard questions, so it may help to google some questions before hand. If you don't know the answer to a question, be sure to mention how you would FIND the answer, because that can make all the difference.
- Make sure your phone connection works and that the number provided to you is correct.
- Find a quiet place with good cell signal. Not being able to hear the interviewer can be detrimental to your interview process.
- Sit in front of a mirror. It'll help you focus and you may be able to answer questions better if you act like you are talking to someone in person.
- Have some questions for the interviewer, so that you are actively paying attention to the interviewer. It can be easy to get distracted while you are on the phone so try to take notes and question the interviewer.